Pages

2 June 2017

Stefan Zweig ~ Chess



I recently found myself idly perusing the titles of books in a bookshop when all of a sudden my gaze focused on the title of a book, it was entitled 'Chess'.  Being an amateur chess player, I was overcome with curiosity.  I picked up the novel and glanced at the first page and started reading it with ease.  So I purchased it together with another book which I will review later once I have read it.  This was an impulse buy but one which I am so happy with as thanks to this purchase I have been introduced to an author I was previously unfamiliar with.  This was such a gripping and original story.  The synopsis on the back cover says, "A group of passengers on a cruise ship challenge the world chess champion to a match.  At first, they crumble, until they are helped by whispered advice from a stranger in the crowd - a man who will risk everything to win.  Stefan Zweig's acclaimed novella, Chess, is a disturbing, intensely dramatic depiction of obsession and the price of genius."
ISBN 978-0-141-19630-5 

 Stefan Zweig November 28, 1881 – February 22, 1942 was an Austrian novelist, playwright, journalist and biographer. At the height of his literary career, in the 1920s and 1930s, he was one of the most popular writers in the world.  Zweig was born in Vienna, the son of Moritz Zweig (1845–1926), a wealthy Jewish textile manufacturer, and Ida Brettauer (1854–1938), a daughter of a Jewish banking family.

Just in case reading this book inspires you to consider taking up Chess, I recommend  https://www.chess.com/ it is an excellent website one which I frequent regularly.  It is great having the opportunity to play chess against opponents around the world.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...