Pages

23 May 2017

"Don't count the days, make the days count."


These giant deck chairs can be seen on Frishman beach in Tel Aviv with their heart warming messages.  I was in a contemplative mood today.  I was thinking back to August 2014 when my husband was asked by his employer whether we would like to live in Tel Aviv, Israel for the next three years.  We were very keen to go but our friends and family were concerned for us.  Israel tends to be portrayed in a very negative light by the media. 

Having had the opportunity to live here for the past two and a half years, I can honestly say that I have had a great time and I will be sad to go.  We are almost at the end of our posting and we only have three months left.  We will be leaving on the 1st of September 2017.   The thought of going makes me feel sad and I get a lump in my throat and shed the odd tear or two.  But this is our life, the life of an expatriate.  Always on the move rather like itinerant gypsies.  Living in a country long enough to get an appreciation for the people, the language, the cuisine, the culture, the religion, the politics but always viewed by the local population as an outsider, a foreigner.  Never truly fitting in or belonging.  

Anyway, enough of my cogitation.  I recall reading an inspirational quote earlier this year by Muhammad Ali.  It said, "don't count the days, make the days count", which I thought was very fitting in our case as we only have a limited time left here in Tel Aviv.  Having said that, I am determined to make the most of these last three months cramming in as much as I can and in the process writing as many blogs as I can about this beautiful and much maligned country.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...