Pages

20 October 2016

The longest journey begins with a single step ...

I am mentally preparing myself to participate in National Novel Writing Month nanowrimo.org/ thereby devoting the entire month of November to writing a new, previously unpublished work of fiction comprising of 50,000 words.  I asked Google approximately how many pages that would equate to when writing a novel and the answer on the screen said 250 words per page therefore a total of 200 pages.  Gulp!  

Writing endless diaries whilst at boarding school in England will have no doubt helped and then more recently since 2010 the experience and discipline of setting up a blog and posting articles ~ I'm sure both of these activities will stand me in good stead.  

Apart from that, I've been thinking and the most I have ever written to date is a couple of short stories which have never seen the light of day.  No, actually that is not true I did pluck up the courage to show one of the short stories to a friend of mine called Lillian who had published several books and whose opinion I valued.  Her feedback was encouraging and constructive.  

That aside, being expected to write a 50,000 word novel in four weeks is like asking a person who occasionally goes to the gym to climb Mount Everest.  I feel apprehensive, ill-prepared and totally out of my depth but I've decided, I'm going to give it a go.  Even if I only manage to write 5000 words or 10,000 words I will at least have tried and made a start instead of procrastinating.  As well, I think having to write under pressure within a specific time frame in this case four weeks will teach me to be more disciplined in my writing.  The NaNoWriMo website suggests that participants should aim to write about 2000 words a day.  The idea is for the participants to begin writing on the 1st of November 2016 and finish their novel by 11:59PM on 30th November 2016.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

For anyone interested, here is a good article by Colin Robinson from The Guardian newspaper dating from 28th November 2013 entitled, "How to write 50,000 words in a month".  One good piece of advice contained within the article is from a man called Andy, he says, "If you want to hit the word target, you have to lock away your inner editor."
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/28/novel-in-month-nanowrimo-books-writing

As well, here is an excellent, inspiring article by Daniel Jose Older which was published on the NaNoWriMo website.  I particularly identified with the last paragraph which began with the sentence, "Writing begins with forgiveness."  
http://nanowrimo.org/pep-talks/daniel-jose-older

"If there is a book that you want to read, but it has not been written yet, you must be the one to write it." Toni Morrison

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...