Pages

2 April 2016

Hamsa a palm shaped amulet




It interests me that in different countries around the world the same symbol in this case, a palm shaped amulet known as the Hamsa is used to ward off the evil eye and to bring good luck.  There were many on sale at the Antiques & Vintage Market at Dizengoff Square.  

 So far, I have lived as an expatriate in six countries and I often find myself trying to find the commonality between these countries.  In other words, I think despite their significant differences what if anything do they have in common?  It appears that this palm shaped amulet is one thing that they have in common.  In Egypt and Tunisia it is known as Hamsa and/or the hand of Fatima whereas here in Israel it is referred to as the hand of Miriam (Moses' sister).
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...