Pages

11 June 2013

Marmelade d'Oignons - Onion Marmalade



 
This recipe by the late Keith Floyd (1943 - 2009) is an absolute winner.  I had already done a blog post about it some years ago but for the sake of emphasising just how good it is and easy to do not to mention how tasty it is I thought I would re-visit the same subject seeing as I made a couple of jars of Marmelade d'Oignons - Onion Marmalade yesterday. 

I reckon the recipe may also have health benefits as finely slicing 1kg of white onions by hand using a sharp knife not only tests your knife skills and patience but also presents an opportunity to give the old tear ducts a thorough work-out.   

I will not re-write the recipe here instead I will give you a link below to my initial post where I had already written it out before but what I will do differently is to provide more photographs with explanatory captions.
http://brightlycolouredsunflowers.blogspot.com/2010/08/marmelade-doignons-onion-marmalade.html


Finely sliced onions being sautéed in olive oil until they become translucent.




The next step is to add the rest of the ingredients as you can see in the photo above and then cover and cook gently for about an hour.

 
This is what the onions look like after an hour of cooking on a gentle heat.  At this stage, you will need to check the seasoning and add a little more sugar, salt or pepper as necessary. 



Once almost all the liquid has been absorbed and the onion mixture has reached a marmalade like consistency then it is ready.   


Allow the onion marmalade to cool before you store it in sterilised jars.


This is a top-down view into the jars of onion marmalade.  Seal the jars once it has completely cooled down and store in a cupboard away from direct sunlight.  I'm not quite sure how long it keeps as Floyd does not specify it in his recipe.  Needless to say, in our house it does not keep very long as it tends to get gobbled up pretty quickly.


This time I halved the recipe as I realised I did not have enough wine vinegar to make the full amount. That is why the yield was a meagre one and half jars.


Marmelade d'Oignons - Onion Marmalade is delicious to have with cold meat, chicken, charcuterie and with pâtés or as part of a Ploughman's lunch with cheese and crusty bread.  It is also excellent when used as a spread or as part of the filling in sandwiches.  Another serving suggestion would be to put a small amount on little squares of toast to nibble with an aperitif.


Storage:  Always keep preserved foods in a cool dry place - if possible in a room with a constant temperature preferably in a larder.  Never let preserved foods be exposed to strong light, be it from sunshine or electricity.

Bon Appetit!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...