Pages

31 January 2013

Another year

 

 
A belated happy New Year to you all and apologies for my lack of blog posts.  I have been away and only returned to Tunisia just over a week ago.  I will endeavour to write more frequently. 

I photographed these sunflowers whilst on holiday.  They are a variety of sunflower which I am not accustomed to with a mixture of orange and yellow petals.  According to the Wikipedia article on sunflowers it is quite common to see colours such as yellow, orange and red. What is usually called the "flower" on a mature sunflower is actually a "flower head" (also known as a "composite flower") of numerous florets (small flowers) crowded together. The outer petal-bearing florets are the sterile florets and can be yellow, red, orange, or other colors. The florets inside the circular head are called disc florets, which mature into seeds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower



 
 
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...