Pages

9 December 2011

Music: Johann Sebastian Bach


Johann Sebastian Bach is one of my favourite composers.  This CD featuring the Magnificat BWV 243 in D major and Cantata BWV 21 is truly splendid, there is no other word for it.  Not only is the music itself glorious but the singing which accompanies it defies belief.  Every time I listen to this CD, I marvel at the alluring, divine and delightful sound that I am hearing and listening to and I think to myself, that this must surely epitomise beauty. 

Although the entire CD is a masterpiece, I do have particular tracks which are my personal favourites and these are;

Track 1   Magnificat anima mea
Track 2   Et exultavit
Track 4   Omnes generationes
Track 6   Et misericordia
Track 8   Deposuit potentes

This is the kind of CD, which by its sheer magnificence makes me grateful to be alive and able to appreciate music of such high calibre.

"Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750) was a German composer, organist, harpsichordist, violist, and violinist whose sacred and secular works for choir, orchestra, and solo instruments drew together the strands of the Baroque period and brought it to its ultimate maturity.   Although he did not introduce new forms, he enriched the prevailing German style with a robust contrapuntal technique, an unrivalled control of harmonic and motivic organisation, and the adaptation of rhythms, forms and textures from abroad, particularly from Italy and France."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...