Pages

10 July 2011

Les hasards de la vie - Life's ups and downs

I wanted to write about the latest up-date concerning my left foot, not that it is of any interest to anyone except my family, relatives and close friends.  Since this blog is rather like an on-line diary I feel compelled to write a follow up as I know had I been keeping an ordinary diary/journal I would without a doubt have written how the saga of my left foot has evolved and is evolving.

Following the x-rays and ultrasound imaging of my left foot on 30th June, I was told that there did not seem to be a hairline fracture but there was indeed an inflammation and an oedema which is the medical term for swelling caused by a collection of fluid in the small spaces that surround the body tissues and organsI was relieved that there was no fracture and grateful to have a diagnosis. 

However, despite taking the anti-inflammatory tablet once a day and applying the cream there did not appear to be any improvement and the pain was severe.  It was decided that the next step would be for me to have a Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan to get a more in-depth look at the area of my left foot.  So, on 5th July I went to a private clinic and had the scan done which took one and a half hours.  I then had to wait a further four hours for the results to be compiled and analysed and to have a copy made of the results which is also put on to a compact disc format.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_imaging

Much to my dismay, the MRI scan revealed that I did in fact have a stress fracture in the region of my third metatarsal bone in my left foot.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metatarsus


I then had to follow up the insight gained from the MRI scan with a visit to an orthopaedic surgeon.  The doctor told me that my left foot did not need to be in a plaster cast as not all broken or fractured bones were automatically put in a cast.  Instead, I was told to carry on with the initial treatment of anti-inflammatory tablets, cream and pain killers as well as doing warm salt water foot baths, walking on the heel of my left foot and raising my left leg up for up to fifteen minutes everyday.  A friend had also kindly lent me a pair of crutches and the orthopaedic surgeon told me not to use them as apparently I was putting too much weight on to my good leg and distorting the weight distribution of my body.  With all this new found knowledge I went home to start the additional procedures in the hope that my left foot would soon return to normal.  http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/salt-uses-and-tips.asp
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...