Pages

5 April 2011

Sign posts in Arabic

This a continuation of an earlier post I did last year on sign posts in Arabic.  My fascination with the written form of the Arabic language continues.  It is an aesthetic admiration as well as an intellectual appreciation.  It reminds me that I need to fulfil one of my New Year's Resolutions and get back to studying Arabic again.  I can liken writing Arabic to some form of deep meditation, it has a calming and soothing effect on me.  I would thoroughly recommend it.  It its written form, it is also an incredibly difficult language to master as each letter in the alphabet has three different forms depending on whether it comes at the beginning, the middle or at the end of a word. 

Here are some more mesmerising photographs of sign posts in Arabic.  It's incredible to think that what may look like incoherent elaborate squiggles to the untrained eye, actually have meaning beyond their mere beauty and come together to form words and sentences in Arabic.


Figure 1:  The sign outside Restaurant Au Bon Vieux Temps in Sidi Bou Said.  Notice also the beautiful framed tiles above the sign which emphasise the point I was trying to make in my previous blog post about the extensive use of tiles in Tunisia.


Figure 2:  A sign from Carthage Museum on Byrsa Hill.


Figure 3:  A sign advertising the municipal market in Sidi Bou Said.



Figure 4:  The sign outside the municipal art gallery in Sidi Bou Said.


Figure 5:  A sign from Carthage Museum on Byrsa Hill.



Figure 6:  A sign advertising Tunisian pastries, ice-cream, Assida Zgougou and Zrire which is another Tunisian dessert. 

Figure 7:  The sign outside a gift shop called El Makhzen in Sidi Bou Said.  I particularly like the shadows of the letters in this photograph.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...