Pages

18 June 2010

Superstition

The Concise Oxford Dictionary published by the Oxford University Press (OUP) defines superstition as
"credulity regarding the supernatural, irrational fear of the unknown or mysterious; misdirected reverence; religion or practice or particular opinion based on such tendencies; widely held but unjustified idea of the effects or nature of a thing."

The reason why I've quoted the above dictionary reference is because last Saturday, 12 June a lucky charm which I'd had for the past eighteen years fell off the wall and broke in half.  Not only had I had this lucky charm for such a long time, but it had been with me through nine house moves and four country moves and therefore had great sentimental value.  For those of you familiar with Turkish culture I can specify that it was a "nazar boncuk" or what is better known in English as an evil eye charm to ward off evil spirits.  I hoped that it wasn't going to be the start of a spiral of bad luck.  I feel I've had my fair share already this year.  I suppose I am mildly superstitious.  I say "white rabbit" at the first day of the month (that is more out of habit really, an odd peculiarity left over from my formative years at an English boarding school), I say "touch wood" and I don't walk under ladders but that is more a health and safety precaution than anything to do with supposed bad luck.  I hope you will have a lucky weekend! 

Here is a photograph of evil eye charms to ward off evil spirits known as "nazar boncuk".  It was taken at a shop in Istanbul.  It was one of these that fell off my wall and broke in half.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...